Saturday, May 19, 2012

Honey and Tumeric Root....

Wondering why honey and turmeric root??
I cut my finger with a knife a few weeks ago, took off my nail and the laceration was quite deep. I rinsed it with water,  wrapped it up, help pressure and put above my heart. I waited for about 15 minutes, then I cleaned it with some water, put some honey on it, used some sterile gauze and tape (you can get them at drug stores) and wrapped it up tightly. It continued to bleed and I had to change my wrapping every day. After the third day, I started to notice my finger getting a little red and warm. It may have started to get an infection. I made a mix of honey and turmeric root, put on it, then wrapped with a band aid. The next morning, the redness was gone and my finger felt great!! It was sore because I had no finger nail and I still had the laceration. I didn't email or get on the computer much, because if I put pressure on it, it would feel a bit sore.
 I still have only about half of my nail, the laceration has healed tremendously and I am able to put pressure on it.
Try this then next time you need an antibiotic cream.
So why honey???
  Clinical observations recorded are that infection is rapidly cleared, inflammation, swelling and pain are quickly reduced, odor is reduced, sloughing of necrotic tissue is induced, granulation and epithelialisation are hastened, and healing occurs rapidly with minimal scarring.
 The antimicrobial properties of honey prevent microbial growth in the moist healing environment created. Unlike other topical antiseptics, honey causes no tissue damage: in animal studies it has been demonstrated histologically that it actually promotes the healing process. It has a direct nutrient effect as well as drawing lymph out to the cells by osmosis.
The stimulation of healing may also be due to the acidity of honey. The osmosis creates a solution of honey in contact with the wound surface which prevents the dressing sticking, so there is no pain or tissue damage when dressings are changed. There is much anecdotal evidence to support its use, and randomized controlled clinical trials that have shown that honey is more effective than silver sulfadiazine and polyurethane film dressings  for the treatment of burns. Read more at Dr. Grotte's website.
 Why turmeric??
It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent!

How God is great to give us everything we need! Praise Him!!

Also a good tip: I have a small batch mixed up in a small container, always ready for when I need it. I use local organic Honey from my local farmers market!

No comments:

Post a Comment